Wednesday, February 11, 2009

 
Emerson: artist "Okays" their recording?
I have two sequential discs from Emerson with different label styles. Both are by the Six Brown Brothers in 1919, almost at their peak of popularity.
My guess is that my copy of Emerson 1055 has an earlier style of label than my copy of Emerson 1056. I base my guess on the fact that the handwritten-style of the "Ok Tom Brown" on 1055 has become typeset on 1056. Can anyone verify my assumption?
Emerson 1055 & 1056
Click photos to magnify

And the question today is: Who is okaying what? Was Tom Brown, leader of the outfit, okaying the quality of recording?

Also, the matrices from these two discs combined run: 4437, 4438, 4440 & 4441. The tantalizing mystery is who and what was on matrix 4439. These two discs are the only ones I know the Browns to have released on Emerson, but was a third disc in the works?


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?